Why should you take out backpack travel insurance?
Backpacker insurance is not only your usual travel insurance. It has more coverage and flexibility, which works much better for backpackers who take long trips. It can also cover several destinations for those who plan to travel to more than one country. In addition, backpacker insurance often includes extreme sports such as bungee jumping or skydiving.
It also takes into account that many backpackers have a limited budget by offering packages at a lower price. Overall, backpacker travel insurance is much more flexible and is absolutely recommended to allow you to travel the world safely and have fun!
How to compare backpack insurance
Hiking is a huge industry, which means there are many interesting insurance options out there! However, it can be difficult to know how to compare inexpensive backpacker insurance. Remember that the lowest option is not always the best, and you want to make sure that the coverage extends to a certain financial limit, ideally with few or no deductibles.
Things to look out for when comparing inexpensive backpacker insurance
- Financial limits and deductible – for example, will you pay a lot in advance if you visit the doctors?
- Age limits – some backpacker insurances only cover those under the age of 30.
- Work or Volunteering-check that your insurance covers you for volunteering and/or contract work.
- Pre-existing conditions -this can affect coverage and price. Always be honest about pre-existing conditions, as if your insurer finds out that you lied could fail your claim.
- Coverage for expensive personal belongings-for example, some insurance for backpackers does not cover laptops or cameras.
- Do you have to pay extra for sports? – Extreme sports may not be as extreme as you think. Some companies even consider horseback riding “extreme”, so read your insurance policy carefully.
- Possibility of expansion-useful if you need flexibility during your trip.
- accidents can happen day or night, so it is important to have help 24 hours on 24.
- What Should Backpack Travel Insurance Cover
There are some basic principles that your insurance should have. Example:
- Medical coverage-find an option that sets the highest possible limit, ideally million.
- Personal Liability-this covers you if you accidentally injure someone or cause damage to their property. For example, a car accident. Look for policies that will cover you up to million.
- Lost/ stolen property
- Trip or flight cancellation/delay-the same applies if you have to cancel a trip suddenly due to a family emergency.
- All the countries you want to visit-some countries require you to purchase additional coverage, for example the United States and Mexico.
What is the best travel insurance for backpackers?
Choosing the best travel insurance for backpackers depends entirely on the type of trip you are going on. If you are traveling away from home for a long time, it is worth choosing a flexible insurance that offers high coverage for interruptions and cancellations of the trip. In addition, it is a good idea to research medical expenses in your destination, as this can have an effect on the coverage of the policy you choose.
Heymondo-Best Backpack Travel Insurance
Heymondo is one of the best backpacker insurances for those who travel long-term. They are super easy to contact on their hotline 24 hours on 24, and even have an app with an online doctor chat. In addition, they have no out-of-pocket costs! This means that if you need help in an emergency, they will pay the cost in advance. You can buy their long stay policy with a flexible extension of 341 USD for 90 days.
SafetyWing -inexpensive Backpacker Travel Insurance
Unlike other travel insurances, SafetyWing offers a monthly subscription, which means that you can stop, renew and pause if you wish. This also means that it is one of the lowest backpacker insurance policies on the market! The policy will continue unless you say otherwise and after a year they will contact you to see if you want to renew. The flexibility of this option makes it one of the best travel insurances for backpackers and digital nomads.
Other ways backpackers can stay safe while traveling
Having backpacker insurance is essential when traveling. In addition, you can also do the following things to protect yourself. They may be obvious, but we still wanted to mention them.
- Make sure you have the right visa.
- Get all the necessary vaccinations.
- Please refer to your government’s advice page for countries/regions that may not be safe to visit. You can also sign up for alerts from your embassy so
- that if something changes, you will know right away.
- Drink responsibly.
- Follow the rules, regulations and customs of your destination. This way you can stay safe, stay legal and respect local life.